Thursday, March 8, 2012

What happened to the old sleds?

So I remember when it took one hand bolt and two clips to take the hood off the 1966 Johnson. Oh, and one wire harness to disconnect the headlight. But once you got the hood off, you could literally crawl in the engine from all angles.

After doing a ski alignment Monday night, I noticed the Apex needed some new bushings and nylon washers on the A-arms to take away a little slop. Just so happens you have to remove the guage pod, 3 body panels, the airbox, the battery, battery box and a nest of wires to reach the nuts on the backside of the bulkhead to remove the A-arms. WOW!

PS: I found the oil filter down in there too, maybe I will do my own oil change next spring! I didn't put enough miles on this year to justify it.

I'm just happy it was just bushings and not a broken bulkhead! I hear that requires a bit more time and an air rivet tool to replace 58 rivets!!




And all you ditch pickle and doo riders don't need to comment. Yamahas are not made of aluminum foil, that's covering the throttle bodies while the airbox is out.

1 comment:

  1. It takes me all of 30 minutes to remove the suspension from my sled...

    -Cody

    ReplyDelete